4 tips on how to safely mix interior styles on your finca
A finca in Mallorca is the dream of many of our customers. However, setting up the house is a big challenge for some. How should modern elements complement the rustic ambiance without overpowering the down-to-earth charm?
To anticipate: A successful mix of styles is not that difficult. The most beautiful and cozy rooms are a mixture of different interior styles. A skilful combination of traditional charm and modern elements flatters all senses, is stimulating and soothing at the same time. Contrary to popular belief, houses do not have to be uniformly styled. It’s actually quite boring to live in such a monostylistic environment.
So stop worrying about everything having to match, and come up with some clever ways to mix and match the things you love to create a home that reflects who you and your family are!
To that end, we give you four universal tips that you can bring to life in your home.
The 80/20 rule
This ratio rule is the perfect starting point for designing your new home. It states that you
need to imagine the different styles of furnishings as the main and secondary characters. The main style will be 80% represented in the room, while the remaining 20% will be represented by the other style. Give rough sandstone walls, a rustic fireplace and small wooden windows with persianas the basic stylistic tone, then complement the modern touch with straight lines of furniture, accessories and wall design.
Group like things
Different and yet the same – that is the key to a harmonious mix. The traditional tongue pattern of the curtains should not be repeated on the sofa and tablecloth as well. Things don’t have to go together, they just have to fit together. A good way to connect dissimilar things is to identify like characteristics in them and group them together. This works especially well for smaller items. Cushions in the same sizes, but different patterns. The accessories on the dresser are made of glass, while those on the mantel are ceramic. Things in the apartment can also be grouped by colors and textures. This way you mix the styles, but still maintain a linear order, which in turn looks modern.
The balance can be established in various ways. First, your room must have an even visual weight. If the open area is separated by a sofa and one wall takes a bookshelf
one, then the space could be balanced by opposite wall art. Balance is the keyword. Everything in your space needs a partner. The wood tone of the floorboards can be repeated on the tray of the coffee table, the green of the modern painting matches the sofa cushions, the antique clock from Grandma
harmonizes with the humidor on the other side of the room. Nothing fits together – and yet everything harmonizes.
The focus is on the unusual
If you have a large piece of furniture that has nothing in common with the other elements in the room, but you can not part with it, then make it the star! Instead of competing with other furniture or accessories, it stands on its own. A massive floor lamp becomes an eye-catcher, the rocking chair a highlight and the unusual picture an eye-catcher. There is usually a long personal story to tell about each of these special pieces. And you already have an extensive topic of conversation with the neighbors when they show up for their inaugural visit.
And if you need help with your interior, we can recommend some interior designers, and various art galleries with stunning exhibitions, where with a little luck you can grab a piece or two to take home. By the way, the picture on the wall in the large photo above, is from the Margerita Gallery in Porto Cristo, by photographer and artist Marco Gittis.
How did you furnish your dream home in Mallorca? More modern or more rustic? Both mixed? Feel free to write us about it here on the blog or via our social networks.